There are certain websites that do not allow copying of the contents on their web pages. This may be with an objective to ensure that their content is not pirated, i.e., to protect their content from theft. However, sometimes you may need to copy such content with the genuine intention of, say, doing some research work or to use it in some other bona fide manner. So, your intention is not to indulge into piracy of the contents or into content-theft, but to use such content in good faith for some research purpose etc. How to copy such copy-protected content on web pages in such genuine cases?
Well, generally speaking, it is possible to copy the copy-protected contents of websites, though the method of copying may be difficult. Here are some suggestions:
- How to copy text or images when right click disabled on website
(2) Create a PDF file of the web page by printing that web page. Thereafter, you can use the PDF file as the contents of that web page. Read the following articles to learn how to create PDF files from a web page:
Sometimes, it is possible even to convert the PDF file back into editable text using optical character recognition software or online OCR services. For more information, read, Convert scanned documents to text by free online OCR.
(3) Try to save the copy-protected web page as HTML file, and then from that HTML file, you can try to extract plain text and copy that. The HTML file can be saved using the Save As option available in most browsers. Alternatively, you can View Source of the web page, and then save the source as a text file.
(4) Use Print-Screen key on the keyboard to print the screen and then save it as an image. Alternatively, use any of the methods described in the articles below to take screenshots of the web page:
- Capture screenshots of whole/part page, annotate, edit it
- Capture full web page or screen & crop, edit images
- Free Multi-Clipboard and Screen Capture Utility
- Take screenshot of whole web page or of its visible part with FireShot
- Take fast snapshot of any screen area of a PDF file
- Microsoft ScreenRecorder to capture video of screen activities
Once you’ve taken screenshot of the web page and saved it as an image, you can either use the saved webpage in that format, or try to convert it into text using an OCR program.
(5) You can even try to use your digital camera, or your mobile phone camera, to take picture of the web page.
Usually, these methods should help you to copy text from a copy-protected web page or to save its contents for your genuine purposes. However, please respect the copyright of the contents, and use the copied contents only for the permissible genuine purposes.