Windows 7 installs a set of themes and wallpapers depending on your selections / settings at the time of installation. It has certain other themes and wallpapers for other International settings that are normally hidden from you. For English-speaking countries, it has themes and wallpapers from five countries, namely: Australia (AU); Canada (CA); Great Britain (GB); South Africa (ZA); United States (US). Normally, only one set of themes and wallpapers is installed on your Windows 7 computer, and themes and wallpapers from these other International sets are hidden from you. However, it is possible to find these additional themes and wallpapers, and then select them for your desktop.
Follow these steps to install one or more of these hidden International themes and wallpapers on Windows 7 computer:
(1) Click Start button in Windows 7, and then in the search box, type C:\Windows\Globalization\MCT and press ENTER key.
(2) This search will display the Windows Explorer with certain subfolders under C:\Windows\Globalization\MCT folder. See, screenshot below:
(3) Thus, you may notice following 5 sub-folders, with each sub-folder containing themes and wallpapers corresponding to a country as described below:
- MCT-AU, corresponding to Australia.
- MCT-CA, corresponding to Canada.
- MCT-GB, corresponding to Great Britain.
- MCT-US, corresponding to United States.
- MCT-ZA, corresponding to South Africa.
(4) Select the country whose themes and wallpapers you want to install on your Windows 7 computer. Thereafter, under that country’s folder, select the Theme folder by double-clicking it:
(5) After this, under the Theme folder, you’ll notice the country-specific theme there. For example, I had selected Theme folder under MCT-AU folder (for Australia), and under this folder, I found the AU theme that is specific to Australia. Now, simply double-click this AU theme. And, this selected theme will now be shown in the Personalization folder, as shown below:
(6) Now, you can use this country-specific theme and wallpapers on your computer, as usual as you use any other theme. For example, I’ve used the AU theme that is country-specific theme for Australia, as shown in the screenshot displayed at the beginning of this article.
That’s it! This is how you can select and apply the hidden International themes and wallpapers on your Windows 7 computer.