Unlike the real world, the virtual world or the Internet is a place where many people use anonymous or pseudonymous names. Having an email address with anonymous or pseudonymous name is not uncommon. Moreover, many websites, including reputed sites, allow you to read or use or download their contents (or at least some of the contents) only after you register on those sites and sign in with your registered user name and password. This is so, knowing fully well that many persons use fake names for registering on such websites. And, it is ironical that registration on such sites is usually free due to which you can read or use or download their contents free without any charges. However, registration on such sites is still compulsory and they won’t know or perhaps won’t mind if you are using fake user name and other fake details to register on those sites. And, generally people have to think for quite some time to think of some fake name, etc. There is an online help available for such persons now.
Strange though it may appear, are you aware that there is a website which can generate fake name with fake address, fake telephone number, email address, and other fake details for you which can then be used for registration on such websites where registration is necessary? Well, I came across at least one such website on the Internet; there could perhaps be more such websites and I didn’t bother to Google for that. And, this website is called Fake Name Generator. Moreover, the Fake Name Generator site can generate fake identities of different nationalities desired by the user.
What? Did you say that such a site which generates fake names and addresses (and, mind you, even fake credit card numbers!) cannot be legal? Look at what the website claims in response to this:
“Isn’t this illegal?
We do not condone, support, or encourage illegal activity of any kind. We will cooperate with law enforcement organizations to assist in the prosecution of anyone that misuses the information we provide or that asks us to provide illegal materials, such as forged documents or genuine credit card numbers.
That being said, we really don’t see how it could be. If you make up a random name and address off the top of your head, do you really think its illegal?”
And, this site claims that such fake identities can be useful due to the following reasons (quoted from that site):
“There are a ton of uses for this service. Here are a few examples:
- Quality test data can be hard to come by, especially with laws (such as HIPAA) preventing use of real data. Read more on the dangers of testing with real data.
- Many websites, such message boards, are poorly designed, making it difficult for visitors from foreign countries to sign up for accounts. Using fake information, you can easily fill out the sign up forms and log in to the site.
- Use fake information when filling out forms to avoid giving out personal information.
- Generate a false identity to use as your pseudonym on the internet. This allows you to keep your real life and your internet life separate.
- Get ideas for names to use for characters in a book or story.
- Generated credit cards can be used to test basic client-/server-side validation techniques without accidentally processing a real card.
- Generated national identity numbers can be used to test basic client-/server-side validation techniques without risking disclosure of real information.”
Further details can be read on that site. I am not endorsing that site in any way since I have my own serious doubts about the legality of generating such fake identities. So, please handle with care and at your own sole risk.
Before, I conclude, one more interesting thing: the aforesaid Fake Name Generator site has a PageRank of 5 from Google!!! Have a look at the following image with 5 PageRank: