If you’ve Gmail account, you can easily convert your email in that account into a Microsoft Word document or a PDF document or a regular Google Docs document, without copying and pasting the text of the email. This can be done with a single click in an email. This is made possible by a Google Labs feature that can be easily enabled in Gmail.
How to enable the Gmail Labs feature of “Create a document”?
To start converting your Gmail conversation / email into Word document or PDF or Google Doc, you’ve to first enable the “Create a document” experimental feature of Gmail Labs. It’s simple. Proceed as under:
(1) Login to your Gmail account.
(2) Click Settings link at the top-right corner of Gmail screen. Then, on the Settings bar that appears on the screen, click on Labs link.
(3) All the Gmail Labs features will now become visible on the screen. Find the “Create a document” feature of the Labs. It appears as under:
Click on Enable radio button to enable this feature, and then click Save Changes at the top of the Labs screen to save your changes.
(4) Now, “Create a document” feature has been enabled for you.
This feature will allow you to create an email (in your Gmail account) to be easily converted into a Google Docs document by a single click. Proceed to the next section to learn it.
How to create a Google Docs document from an email in your Gmail account?
(1) Login to your Gmail account. Open the email or conversation that you want to convert to a Google Docs document.
(2) You’ll notice a “Create a document” link in the right margin of the email / conversation (see figure below):
(3) Click on this “Create a document” link. This will open your Google Docs and a new document will be automatically created with the text of your email / conversation already being displayed there.
(4) Now, it you want to make any changes to this text or formatting, you can edit this text and then save it and close it.
Your Google Docs document is now ready. You can easily further convert this document into a Microsoft Word document or PDF file. Proceed to the next section.
How to convert a Google Docs document to a Microsoft Word document or to a PDF file?
(1) From the Explorer view of Google Docs, select the document (that you want to convert to Microsoft Word or PDF document) by putting a check mark in front of its file name. Now, click Export as from the More actions menu, and then from the popup menu, select Save as Word option if your want to convert this document into Microsoft Word document (or select Save as PDF option if your want to convert this document into a PDF document). See, the following image for these actions:
(2) You’ll get a Save As dialog box on the screen. Enter the file name with which you want to save it as Microsoft Word file or PDF file and select the folder on your computer where you want to save it; and then click Save button. Your document (that you initially converted from email) is now converted and saved on your computer as a Word document or a PDF document, as the case may be.
Thus, using the above-mentioned simple steps, you can easily create an email / conversation in your Gmail account into a Google Docs document, and then into a Word document or a PDF file, if you so wish.